I joined journalism by choice, left it midway to do something more creative and purposeful. I did not know that fate had willed differently. I meandered through social activism and politics and became a part-time writer on Indian society and politics. Destiny pulled me back. One fine day of January 2013, I found myself in the thick of news once again. Yes, I took up the challenge of becoming the news editor of NewsX Television Channel. I was a senior political analyst with the British High Commission for three years 2005-2008. The fat salary, intelligent colleagues and a flexible job failed to retain me there for long. I realized I was becoming a part of their bureaucracy. My existence there was in stark contrast to the world outside.
Summary /In search of meaning
After having spent more than 20 years in mainstream media in India, I moved to Law and Politics. My stint in media was marked by an unbiased nationalist tilt that sought to do factual reporting. I longed to be a part of a better and vibrant democratic country where every citizen would have an equal say. I realised that the need was to work for a nationalist alternative to the Congress.
During the course of reporting I came in touch with many BJP leaders of substance including ex-Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee, Ex-Deputy Prime Minister LK Advani, senior leaders Sunder Singh Bhandari, Kushabhau Thakre, Jana Krishnamurthy, Bangaru Laxman, JP Mathur, Pyarelal Khandelwal, KN Govindacharya, Pramod Mahajan, Sushma Swaraj, Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley, M Venkaiah Naidu. I also came in close touch with Shri Narendra Modi, who had come to national BJP as the national secretary and subsequently rose higher up and became the General Secretary, the chief minister and the Prime Minister.
My last stint in the media was as News Editor of Newx TV News Channel. At that time I found that Shri Narendra Modi was trying to champion the cause of development but the mainstream media was more interested in damaging his image. As a journalist I decided it was my duty to try to understand the man and his vision and make people aware. The result of my painstaking research found expression in the book “Narendra Modi: The GameChanger”. This turned out to be showcasing of Gujarat’s development journey through the vision of Shri Narendra Modi.
After writing the book I had the option to get a fat salary and promotion from my employer Newsx or to join some other news organisation with a better designation and pay. I decided to do otherwise. I had never compromised the ethical principle in journalism and it weighed heavily on my mind since I had compromised my ethical neutrality. Not that I had any doubt about my subject or his character. It was the fact that I was too aligned with by subject and would like him to succeed in giving a strong leadership to the country. I decided to uphold the moral standards and quit journalism. I participated in various TV debates and interacted with various diplomats to explain Modi, the man and his vision. After about a year, I was offered to join the BJP as a member of its media relations committee. I began participating in TV debates as a Panelist spokesperson from the BJP and soon found myself fulltime into politics though I had got registered in the Bar in Delhi in 2012.
In 2018, the party assigned to me the role of media co in-charge for the Karnataka and Telangana Assembly elections. I stayed in Bangalore and Hyderabad for over a month each and tried to create a better media atmosphere. I addressed press conferences wherever assigned.
Besides Karnataka and Telangana, I was also asked to look after our media units in Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Pondicherry and Jharkhand. A regular touch with the media units in these States helped me to understand regional politics and deliver better on the national front.
- Registered with the Bar Council of India and the Delhi High Court Bar Association since 2012. D/900/2012.
- Have appeared in Supreme Court and Delhi High Court, Armed Forced Tribunal, and other courts of Delhi.
- News Editor, News X English Television Channel (December 2012-May 2014).
- Managing Editor , Vitasta Publishing Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi (March 2010-June 2012).
- Editor News, 365 Din TV news channel, (February 2009-March 2010).
- Input Editor, India News TV News Channel, (May 2008- January 2009).
- Political Analyst , India News TV News channel, (09 February 2008-May 2008).
- Political Analyst, British High Commission, New Delhi (March 2005 -8 February 2008).
- Special Representative, The Statesman, New Delhi, since May 2000.
- Special Correspondent, Business Standard, New Delhi, (April 1998-May 2000).
- Principal Correspondent, Business Standard, New Delhi, (February 1997-March 1998).
- Senior Correspondent, Business Standard, New Delhi, (Sept. 1996-Feb. 1997).
- Staff Correspondent, New Delhi Bureau, DeccanChronicle (An English daily published simultaneously from Hyderabad, Vishakhapatanam Vijayawada), (January 1995-September 1996).
- Reporter / Sub -Editor, Newstime, Hyderabad, (February 1994 - December 1994).
- Assistant Professor (English) Madhya Pradesh (A brief period in 1991).
- Free lance writing. Articles published in The Pioneer, Amrita Bazar Patrika, Patriot, (1992-94).
- Author of Narendra Modi: The GameChanger (currently the best-selling book on the Prime Minister).
- Contributed to book: The Other Side: Redefining Bharat , edited by Dominic Emmanuel and others
- Contributed to book: Prime Ministers of India by Shivnath Jha. My contribution was the write on Atal Behari Vajpayee
|LL.B, Chaudhary Charan Singh University||2009|
M.Phil., International Relations,
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
(Recipient of Junior Research Fellowship from the University Grants Commission)
|M.A., English Literature, First Class, Ranchi University, Ranchi||1988|
|B.A (Hons.) English, Ranchi University||1986|
|Ph. D., (discontinued) Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi||1991-93|